Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Creating a Costume I

I have been making bits and pieces of my Halloween costumes. I do not know how to sew, I can make stitches though, so this has been quite the challenge. Halloween celebrations will be in Seattle this year. Ryan and myself are throwing a masquerade party Friday night and we will be going out as Indians Sunday.

For the masquerade party I had this vintage three tone lace lingerie piece sitting in my costume box for a while that I figured would be perfect for the dress.



I knew I needed to take this shapeless ankle length dress and give it a bit of a makeover. I figured by be creating some kind of petticoat underneath, I could have the poof I was desiring. Thus, I created this no-sew tutu:



Items needed:
Scissors
Tulle
A piece of ribbon

Tie the ribbon around your waist then add about 6 inches. On each end tie a knot about 3 inches from the ends, this allows for you to tie a bow when finished.
Fold your tulle about 1 1/2-2" thick and then cut off the ends to make them even.
Cut 3-4' pieces.
Unroll these pieces and fold them in half, cut again.
Taking one of the two pieces, fold it in half and make a loop put the ribbon in front of the loop and pull the ends through (essentially a cow hitch/lanyard knot).
Repeat this until you get the desired fullness.

If you're like me and need a visual, this is the YouTube video I used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTXo6uv9HxA  (skip to 1:30 minutes to start the tutorial)

I ended up pinning the lace lingerie piece and making small stitches to create this:

No comments:

Post a Comment