Friday, March 9, 2012

Happy Saturday - Banana Flapjacks

It's finally the weekend again! I'm looking forward to some studying but more importantly I'm hoping to hit a trail or two with the pups. I haven't had time to surf the web this week (finals are approaching) so I thought I'd share a recipe for Banana Flapjacks in case you're craving a hearty Sunday breakfast. This recipe is originally vegan, I just didn't have all the ingredients for the Vegan version.

Banana Flapjacks
(Recipe from Vegan Brunch, all vegan substitutes will be in parenthesis.)

2 very ripe bananas
2T canola oil
1/2c milk (almond or rice)
1/2c water
2t  apple cider vinegar
1T honey (pure maple syrup)
1c all-purpose flour
2.25t baking powder
.25t salt
.25t ground cinnamon
.25t nutmeg
.25t allspice


Gather your ingredients, my dad swears by the measure before you start method and I use it when I've never tried the recipe before. 


Mash your bananas in a large mixing bowl.


Add in the oil, milk, water, vinegar and honey (maple syrup). Then add in the flour, baking powder, salt and spices, continue breaking down the bananas until there are little to no lumps.


Add in your extras - we (Brittany and I) used chocolate chips but both agreed that we used too much. When I make these again I'll only use 1/4 of a bag. Preheat a large skillet or pan over medium heat. "You'll know the pan is hot enough by adding a drop of water - the water should dance around the pan, but the pan should not be smoking." Spray the pan with non-sticking spray then add 1/4-1/2c batter to the pan. 1/4c will give you pancake stacks size and 1/2c will give you flapjack size.



Because of the banana base you'll want to cook them for 3-6 minutes on each side. 


While your pancakes are cooking, take this chance to cut up your favorite fruit.


And prepare your favorite side dish.


Cover your finished pancakes with foil to keep them warm while your cook the remaining batter.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum, I want this breakfast, again, right now. I'm HUNGRY. ;)

    ReplyDelete