Thursday, December 8, 2011

Jon McLaughin at the Doug Fir

My birthday present for Mrs. Kristen Brown was the Jon McLaughin concert last night at the Doug Fir in Portland. Side note: The Doug Fir is an awesome small concert venue, I highly recommend it if you're traveling into Portland. They are attached to the Jupiter Hotel so you can get a room for the night and walk across the way to see a show! Ok now back to the night: Kristen and I have been fans of Jon since he first entered the music world. My brother David was the one who introduced me to Jon's music. He introduces me to a lot of fantastic alternative artists/bands before they become "famous" like Gavin DeGraw, Echo Helstrom, and Paolo Nutini.Anyway, back to the concert, tangent theme? Jon plays the piano (keyboard) a harmonica and sings. His piano skills are spectacular, not many bands incorporate real piano rifts into their music it was refreshing. After the concert Kristen, her husband DJ and myself had the opportunity to meet Jon. He is such a relaxed, real, respectful and humble artist. We chatted with him for about 15 minutes and he mentioned his wife at least twice, which is something I greatly respect. It was a perfect concert experience.

The stamp we got at the door, ironically perfect. 


The stunning couple:


The Doug Fir Lounge downstairs bar. 



Mr. McLaughin:



The band:


Self imposed mirror photos of course.



DJ told us we had to go upstairs for a moment and all of the sudden the staff brought out a delicious apple crisp for Mrs. Brown. 





Meeting Jon:

1 comment:

  1. I love Jon! I went to college with him and his wife Amy at Anderson University, so I get really excited when I see people loving his music. Go him! :)

    I clicked over from Nat the Fat Rat and glad I did. I love your blog! Stop by reverie. any time!

    Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete